POSITION TITLE: ESL TEACHER
LOCATION: Middletown, NY
REPORTS TO: Area Program Coordinator
Literacy Connections of the Hudson Valley, Inc. seeks an ESL Teacher for its Middletown program. Evening class schedule is to be determined. The ESL teacher is responsible for teaching English to adult students in Literacy Connections’ adult literacy education program in a dynamic and contextualized way for students’ practical use. Small group instruction will be provided in person (remotely and/or hybrid only if necessary). In addition, the instructor will develop and submit regular lessons as instructed by the Program Coordinator. This is a contracted/1099 position.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Design and implement an engaging and research-based curriculum, connect with students from diverse backgrounds, demonstrate experience and understanding of effective literacy practices.
- Monitor students’ educational progress and maintain the Program Coordinator appraised of progress/problems.
- Maintain attendance records, ensure accuracy and submit them to the Program Coordinator.
- Bachelor’s degree in education required.
- Must have teaching experience with adults in the ESOL field. Open to recent graduates from M.A. TESOL programs.
- Must be able to create lesson plans and assessments.
- Strong knowledge of effective literacy practices.
- Ability to motivate students and communicate effectively.
- Ability to effectively document student progress and make instructional decisions based on this data.
- Flexibility in dealing with lesson plans changes based on students’ needs.
- Must be responsible, creative, motivated, patient, and friendly.
- Computer skills required, including Microsoft Word, Excel, and virtual platforms experience (i.e., Zoom, Google Hangouts, etc.).
Compensation: Contracted Position: 5-6 hours a week, including planning
$20-25 hour pay based on experience
PLEASE SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO: