Expand your horizons!
Below are helpful links for both students and tutors to local libraries, online learning programs, and local agencies. These websites are designed to encourage our students to learn more and to give our tutors interesting teaching ideas.
If you find some on your own that are great, please let us know—or, if you find one here that is no longer available, please let us know that too. We want to keep our resources current and helpful to all.
All Tutors Resources
- Literacy Information and Communication
System – US Department of Education – great articles and research about adult literacy education
- Literacy NY – Literacy Volunteer’s state agency
- Coalition for Adult Basic Education
- Literacy Volunteers National Accreditation Agency
- Literacy Volunteers’ database of activities.
- Thinkfinity – Provides training courses, tutoring materials, activity ideas.
- National Center for the Study of Adult Learning and literacy volunteers
- Literacy Connections (.com) – Information for tutoring adults, tips for first-time volunteers, provides activity ideas, suggest reading lists.
- English for Everyone – Free printable worksheets for basic literacy and ELL students
- Brain Pop – Fabulous activities of all kinds for kids and adults!!
- Teacher Worksheets – Great site with all sorts of free worksheets
- Learning Resources
- A Newspaper for New Readers
- The Writing Lab at Purdue
- Beekman Library
- Poughkeepsie’s Public Library
- About The America Reads ChallengeThe Internet Public Library
- Learn a new word each day
- American Library Association
- United Way of Dutchess County
Basic Literacy Tutor Resources
- Reading A-Z – Leveled readers and lots of lesson plans on phonics, fluency,
vocabulary and comprehension.
- BBC – Great site for games and activities
- National Institute for Literacy
- Literacy Tools – online games, printable activities, tutor information.
- Public Library for Adult Literacy – Great activity ideas and information on tutoring adults.
- Adult Learning Activities
- Learning disabilities
- Learning Disabilities Association
- National Center for Learning Disabilities
- International Dyslexia Association
- D.O.E.’s Web Site
- Verizon Literacy Campus
ELL Tutor Resources (English Language Learning)
- ESL Gold – English learning strategies.
- ESL Lessons – Lesson Plans
- English Club – Free online resources
- Stickyball – Resources for ELL tutors – grammar, phonics, dialogues, idioms, etc.
- Rong-Chang – Online ELL activities, games, etc.
- Grammar lessons
- CNN writing samples
- Many Things – Interesting things
- Activities for ELL students
- Multimedia Educational Resource for Learning and Online Teaching (MERLOT) – Lesson Plans
- ELL conversation
- The Internet TESL Journal – ELL conversation
- ESL Flow – ELL Conversation
- ESL Flow – ELL Pronunciation
- E-How – ELL Pronunciation